Shanna Mallon started Food Loves Writing in 2008, to chronicle cooking attempts, practice writing, and remember her grandma, who had passed away nine years before. In the years that followed, she fell in love with whole foods, as well as Tim, who emailed her one November night from his home in Nashville, Tennessee. To share the story behind the blog, Shanna published an ebook, Written Together: A Story of Beginnings, in the Kitchen and Beyond, in 2012. She holds an MA in Writing from DePaul University, and her work has been featured in The Kitchn, Better Homes & Gardens, and Bon Appetit. When she’s not cooking and blogging about life here, she works from her Nashville home as a marketing copywriter.
Tim Mallon became interested in whole foods and nutrition when he began researching health information after his mom passed away in 2002. Discovering firsthand the beauty and power of fresh foods eaten in their original forms, he found himself fascinated by how what we eat affects our bodies and why. When he saw a Chicago food blogger writing about digestive problems, he shot her an email—and that email led to a first meeting, which led to a long-distance relationship, which led to his marriage to Shanna in October 2011. Today, he develops recipes, shoots photos and does behind-the-scenes work on this blog. He also works as a manager and nutrition consultant for personal fitness studio Life Fitness Academy in Nashville.
Nashville food bloggers Shanna and Tim are working on the forthcoming The Einkorn Cookbook (Fair Winds Press, November 2014).“To serve any discipline of art … is to affirm meaning, despite all the ambiguities and tragedies and misunderstandings that surround us.” Madeleine L’Engle
- What do you eat? The short version is real food. The long version is here.
- How do you say Shanna? It rhymes with Donna!
- How can I start a blog? We’ve set up a page with some advice here.
- Can I hire you? Yes! Contact us to discuss ways we can help you with copywriting, photography, or recipe development.
- What hosting company do you use? Our WordPress site is hosted with A Small Orange VPS , which has stellar support.
- What kind of camera do you use? We have a gently used Canon EOS 40D and a Canon 5D that we use mostly with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 .
- Is it OK if I use one of your photos somewhere else? All photos and text on this site are protected by copyright and may not be used without permission.
- Will you respond to my email? If it is personal, almost always, yes. If it is solicitation, maybe.
- Food Blog of the Day, Foodista // June 7, 2014
- “Good Stories from These Five Food Writers,” Indiana Public Media // April 27, 2014
- Instagram Follow Friday, Better Homes & Gardens // February 2014
- “Friday Finds,” Better Homes & Gardens: Delish Dish Blog // February 2014
- “Best of the Blogs,” Food News Journal // January 2014
- “8 Must-Try Pancake Recipes,” Parade.com // September 2013
- “10 Ways to Sneak Vegetables into Your Kid\’s Dessert,” Wet Paint Moms // September 2013
- “Lovely Food Sites,” Naturally Ella // August 2013
- Cook the Cover, Bon Appetit // July 2013
- “8 Food Blog Links We Love,” Food52 //June 2013
- “Change It Up: Einkorn Wheat Berries,” The Kitchn // April 2013
(full list here)
- Entrepreneur // 10 Words to Cut from Your Writing
- Eat This Poem // Literary City Guide: Nashville
- VisitGreenvilleSC.com // October 2013
- Deliciously Organic // May 2013
- Seed & Water // April 2013
- Golubka // April 2013
- Delighted Magazine // Autumn 2012
- BlogHer Food // July 2012
- Publix Greenwise Magazine // Summer 2012
- Remedy Quarterly: Issue 4 // March 2011
- Thinkfood // 2010
- The Kitchn // December 2009
- PAPER/PLATES // August 2013
- Mommypage // March 2013
- Poor Taste Mag // February 2012
- Houzz.com // June 2012
- Gapers Block Drive-Thru // September 2009
- DePaul University alumni blog // July 2009