Yesterday for dinner, we made a salad.
I like salad.
I like salad especially this time of year, when the weather’s crazy hot in Nashville, the kind of hot where your shirt sticks to your back and sweat beads on your upper lip and walking down a street holding your fiancé’s hand means having to wipe your palm on your pant leg afterwards. This particular year, the heat has brought with it cicadas, ugly little flying creatures with bright red eyes and loud chirping noises, camped out in the trees, on my house, and, for a tragic few minutes Monday morning, right in my freshly washed hair. It’s been something.
But thankfully, these 90-degree days have also brought with them the more agreeable experiences of popsicles, tank tops, week-long visits from my brother (which included the purchase of one very expensive white dress), homemade ice cream, flip flops, Memorial Day grilling, and, back to the original topic, giant summer salads.
(I mean, the salads don’t exactly make up for having to be swatted at on your way into a weekday lunch, but they certainly help.)
The idea for Tuesday’s salad came pretty simply: Tim got a block of Parmesan as a birthday gift, and we all know Parmesan works wonderfully atop a salad. We bought some berries and arugula and combined them with Trader Joe’s balsamic, olive oil, salt, pepper, honey, and big shavings of Parmesan.
And while we both thought the salad needed the extra crunch of nuts—pine nuts? walnuts? toasted almonds? and Tim really liked the sound of adding a sheep’s milk feta throughout, even as it was, it made a refreshing meal. Oh and on the side, there was garlic bread: toasted rosemary sourdough topped with butter and sliced roasted garlic. Pure perfection.
Given that this recipe is still a sort of work in progress, two things:
1) I’d love to hear your versions or ideas for improvements.
2) I feel like I should offer you something else today.
So. I can’t remember the last time I did a good link roundup of things I’ve been enjoying lately, which I think makes today the perfect time. Between work and wedding planning and everyday social media, I spend a lot of time on the Internet—like, I suspect, many of you do.
So here are some spots I’ve been enjoying lately. I welcome yours (especially if they have to do with wedding invitations? the next to-do):
- Christina Heaston Photography: Even though she lives in South Carolina, Christina did our engagement photo shoot last Friday in Nashville, while she was in town visiting her sister. Last night, she posted a sneak peak, aaaand damn, she’s good.
- Pinterest: Loving this super easy way to bookmark ideas that inspire you, especially for our wedding. Do you already know about it, and am I seriously the last person to join?
- Instagram: OK, this one isn’t really a website but rather an iPhone app: think social media in photos. You can find me @foodloves, and I’m totally addicted.
- Honey & Salt’s series: Dealing with a Spouse’s Illness: I’ve mentioned Joanna’s blog before, but this recent series has been so, so good. Every post, I want to pull out phrases and stick them on the wall. Powerful, authentic writing.
See you back here next week!