take me to D.C.

georgetown

D.C. is beautiful, and that really can’t be overstated, especially this time of year with the cherry blossoms and bright blue skies and hot afternoons. Within a day or so of arriving, I’d decided I could live in Georgetown and find a job doing, well, anything, just to get to walk among professionally dressed people on cell phones, stunning historic architecture, brick walkways and fresh flowers.

the water

I mean, look at this river! Walking distance from shops and old churches, it was filled with crew teams practicing, and I could have sat by the edge, my feet dangling, for hours while the sun beat down and the cool breeze blew my hair. And that was just Georgetown.

capitol building

We didn’t do museums, but Thursday night was an event at the Capitol Building, amongst 145 or so DePaul alumni, where we took private tours of the rotunda and sat above the in-session senate floor. Our group waited in an elevator, going up and down floors, while the king of Jordan passed by, I’m told right after President Obama. And I met Terry Gainer, Senate Sergeant at Arms and Nicest Alumnus Ever, who shook my hand and took pictures with us after the event ended.

white house

One night after dinner, we walked out to the National Mall, becoming part of huge crowds by the White House and tourists at the Washington Monument. People were jogging and running everywhere, and who can blame them? I’d take this scenery any day, gladly.

washington monument

Have you been to the Lincoln Memorial? It is huge, people. Huge. I’d love to know what President Lincoln would think.

lincoln memorial

But enough about that.

I guess some people travel to D.C. for the museums or monuments, but, as you might have guessed, we went for the food. And boy, did we eat.

eating in dc

Every night we had some version of tapas—Spanish, at Jaleo Thursday night; Mediterranean at Zaytinya Friday night; Spanish again at Mar de Plata with my old roommate Sonja, who drove in to see us. Georgetown is where we ate the ice cream pictured above, at Thomas Sweet, just across from a French place where we had lunch. I can’t wait to tell you about it.

returning home

By the time Sunday came, when our delayed flight descended over drab Chicago, all I could think was What am I doing here?

I have much more to tell you, but since I have the day off today, I’m going to go enjoy it—and whatever this city throws at me. Meanwhile, if you’re impatient like I am, you can check out the Flickr album I’ve set aside. Warning: you might just fall in love with D.C., too.

The Survey: Oh and to all of you who commented and filled out the survey – thank you! Reading the answers last night, I laughed out loud and cried in parts. You’re a good bunch. Glad to be sharing my eating with you.

Comments

1. says

so glad you hit Jaleo! i’m very happy that you enjoyed your time in DC, your pix are gorgeous. please do come back soon, and i will do all i can to not get sick. :)

2. says

It is so nice to hear you loved DC. I always like to hear that people live the city I have called home for almost 8 years now. You made great decisions for food, Zaytinya is one of my favorite places to eat.

3. says

That first photo looks a little Boston-esque! I didn’t go to many museums during my two weeks in DC. Just the Holocaust Museum and the Smithsonian… I think. In Georgetown, I saw the steps from The Exorcist movie! Creeeepy. Love your food photos in the Flickr album. As always… you’re making me hungry!

4. says

Those are great pictures… It’s so funny you say “drap chicago” as I am from Kalamazoo and I go to Chicago every year to get away from “drap Kalamazoo” :)

5. says

Can we go somewhere together? For real. It sounds like you had such a good time. And me and the man totally plan our vacations based on the food. Not on monuments or the sights or the likelihood of a suntan; it’s ALWAYS about the food. So I think you and I would make excellent traveling partners. You game? :)

6. says

I remember when I went to D.C., I absolutely loved it. And I was so young! I’d love to go back, see the cheery blossoms.

7. says

Glad to be back, everyone! (Well, mostly glad.)

Lan, I’m still so bummed about our failed meet-up. We have exchanged voicemails now, though, and that’s one step closer. :) Next time, for sure, all colds excepting.

Risa, Is it weird all I feel is jealousy when I read your comment? Have a Hello cupcake for me, ok?

Meeso, I’m going to Kalamazoo next month, in fact! How’s that for irony?

MyFirstKitchen: Kendra, Kendra. Yes and yes. Anytime, anywhere. You’d be great to travel with.

8. says

What an amazing trip- I agree D.C. is beautiful- I can’t wait to go back and look into some of those restaurants.

9. says

Your photos are beautiful! I’m going to Boston this weekend and can’t wait to get out in the city for a little while.

10. says

Glad you like D.C. :) It’s always exciting to meet the people in the Senate and White House etc. I live in Georgetown, and I’ve got to say, you think it’s going to be amazing when you move. And then it’s even better. Unfortunately I’m moving to Capital Hill in a few months, but I’ll be close to Eastern Market, which I’m sad you didn’t get to visit! Local produce, fish, poultry, beef, even flowers and artwork. Grocery stores are overrated :)

11. says

Susan – I hope you do! (and I hope I go back, too!)

Maris – Boston has my heart, in several ways. Gorgeous city.

Maddie – You live in Georgetown! You live in Georgetown! Even if you are moving, I’ll stay jealous, OK? I’m sad I didn’t get to see the Eastern Market, too, but maybe next time. Let’s hope there’s a next time.

Trackbacks